As a statewide, member-based association, the Michigan Farmers Markets Association (MIFMA) knows that the most beneficial advice market managers receive come from peers who have personal experiences to share. To help pair experienced market managers with those who are just beginning to manage farmers markets in Michigan and those implementing new programs at their markets, MIFMA has developed a Market Manager Mentorship Program.
MIFMA is now accepting applications for the 2017 Market Manager Mentorship Program. Individuals who are interested in being a part of the program can now able to apply to receive a mentor: Click Here
Mentors will be working with new and beginning market managers as well as market managers who are in their first year of accepting Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits at their farmers markets. Mentors will work one-on-one with mentees to help them overcome obstacles and solve challenges, thus allowing farmers markets to more quickly and efficiently increase access to healthy food in underserved communities.
What Support do I get as a Mentee?
- Be paired with an experienced mentor accessible for questions and support in regard to market management and/or food assistance programs.
- Access to their mentor via email or phone to ask basic questions and discuss concerns and ideas. A mentor will also direct mentees to helpful resources and references for further information.
- Access to a MIFMA staff member on informative monthly conference calls from April – November to address common questions and issues that arise during the market season.
- Access to a private meet and greet luncheon held at the Michigan Farmers Market Conference in East Lansing, MI on March 8, 2017.
- A mentor will visit your farmers market at least once to observe and offer helpful tips and ideas.
- Program Start Date: March 8, 2017 and Program End Date: November 30, 2017
The program will kick off with a meet and greet lunch during the 2017 Michigan Farmers Market Conference in East Lansing, Michigan on Wednesday, March 8.
With questions, please contact Mentorship Program lead, Emily Beutel at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 517-432-3381.