The MIFMA Board of Directors is currently accepting nominations for open positions on the board. Elections will occur at MIFMA’s Annual Meeting held in conjunction with the Michigan Farmers Market Conference on Wednesday, March 7, 2018, from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m.
Individuals interested in serving on the MIFMA Board of Directors should read all of the following information and complete the nomination form below by February 10, 2018. Please contact the MIFMA office at (517) 432-3381 with any questions.
Click here to access the full 2018 Nomination Packet.
Board of Directors Members Pledge:
I understand that as a member of the Michigan Farmers Market Association Board of Directors I have a responsibility to ensure that the association does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in MIFMA’s mission to advance farmers markets to create a thriving marketplace for local food and farm products and I am committed to working with MIFMA to guide its growth. Therefore, I pledge to devote myself to the following roles and responsibilities:
- I will be a member of MIFMA in good standing.
- I will make an annual cash donation to MIFMA. I understand that MIFMA’s Board adopted a giving policy for all Board members. This policy was adopted to support fundraising activities and demonstrate that MIFMA leaders are committed to 100% giving prior to asking members or other individuals or organizations for financial support. The policy states that Board members will be expected to give to the best of their means at a level they would consider generous.
- I am willing and able to contribute approximately six hours monthly to MIFMA activities.
- I will attend all Board meetings held face-to-face and by video conference. I will notify the President or the Executive Director if I absolutely cannot attend due to an allowable absence (planned event or an unforeseen emergency).
- I will attend at least one of MIFMA’s major annual events. Examples include the Market Manager Certificate Program, Michigan Farmers Market Conference, Farmers Markets at the Capitol, farm-based education events and/or the farmers market focus at Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market Expo – visit mifma.org/events.
- I will participate in at least one MIFMA committee: Advocacy, Finance, Fund Development, Nominating, and/or Racial Equity and Inclusion. I understand that this involves, at a minimum, a one-hour each month as established by the committees.
- I will participate in an annual performance review of the MIFMA Executive Director.
- I will help recruit and orient new Board members.
- I will stay informed about the activities and current issues for Michigan farmers markets. I will draw upon my professional experience and expertise as well as support for Michigan farmers markets in my actions and decision-making.
- I will review all materials prior to Board meetings (meeting minutes, agendas, budgets, etc.).
- I will return all emails and/or phone calls in a timely, professional manner.
- I understand that if I cannot fulfill the above roles and responsibilities I may be asked by the Board to resign.
- I may relinquish my position on the Board at any time by submitting a letter of resignation to either the Board President and/or the Executive Director.
Qualifications: Each person elected to the Board of Directors must be a MIFMA member in good standing and remain so during the term. Board members serve on a volunteer basis and only one person per membership may serve on the Board at the same time. The Board of Directors will act in good faith on behalf of the whole.
Membership: The Board of Directors will consist of eleven members with four positions to be held by farmers market representatives. Two positions are to be held by Michigan farmers who sell their own products at farmers markets. Five positions are to be held by business professionals with a vested interest in MIFMA’s mission and vision.
Nomination: A slate of candidates will be prepared by the Nominating Committee and offered to the membership at least 15 days prior to the annual meeting.
Election: The MIFMA Board of Directors shall be elected by a majority vote of the members in attendance at the MIFMA Annual Meeting to be held at 8:30 am on Wednesday, March 8, 2017, at the Plant and Soil Science Building on Michigan State University’s campus in East Lansing, Michigan.
Meetings: An organizational board meeting will be scheduled following the Annual Meeting to elect officers and set the meeting calendar for 2017.
Terms of Office: Board members may serve three consecutive two-year terms. Board terms are staggered.
Resignation and Removal: Board members may resign at any time by providing written notice to the Board.
Removal: Any member may be removed, with or without cause, by a 2/3 majority vote of the full MIFMA Board.
Board Vacancies: If a vacancy occurs on the Board, the Board then in office may, by majority vote, choose a successor to fill that position until the next annual meeting when the members shall elect a replacement to complete the remainder of the term.
Conflict of Interest: Members shall be mindful of potential conflicts of interest that may arise for them individually on matters that come before the Board. The Board is to uphold a high standard of transparency in transactions and processes and to commit itself to maintaining the integrity of the association. Potential conflicts arising from employment, marital, or proprietary relationships should be avoided in order to prevent the appearance of impropriety. Board members shall abstain from voting if a conflict of interest arises.
Compensation for Board Service: Directors shall receive no compensation for carrying out their duties as Directors. The Board may adopt policies providing for reasonable reimbursement of Directors for expenses incurred in conjunction with carrying out Board responsibilities, such as travel expenses to attend Board meetings.
Please include all information you feel conveys your desire to become a part of this growing and vital association in the form below. In addition, we are asking for a photo that can be published with your response as we submit your request for consideration to our membership during this election. Submitting a photo is by no means mandatory.