Shopping at your favorite farmers market is a great way to get locally-grown, fresh fruit, vegetables, and other delicious foods for you and your family. While farmers markets and the vendors that sell at farmers markets follow a variety of state, local, and federal food safety rules and regulations, it’s important for shoppers to also follow simple guidelines to ensure your produce and other products are kept fresh and safe. The Michigan Farmers Market Association is dedicated to providing easy-to-follow, user-friendly resources to help you maintain important food safety practices. Use the toolbox of resources below for important tips and guidelines.
- How to Check a Cottage Food Label – Interested in learning about cottage foods? This video will help you identify cottage foods while also recognizing allergens, product ingredients, and more.
- How to Properly Wash your Farmers Market Produce – Learn simple techniques for properly washing a variety of farmers market produce.
- Food Safety Tips and Stir Fry Recipe – Learn some simple food safety tips while working through a delicious stir fry recipe.
- Packing a Cooler – Learn steps to follow to properly pack items to keep them safe and cool!
- How to Store Food from the Farmers Market in the Summer Heat -When temperatures are on the rise, be sure to follow these simple suggestions for keeping your farmers market purchases safe, fresh, and delicious.
- Food Safety from the Farmers Market to the Fridge – Explore a variety of tips for shopping safely at your local farmers market with Michigan State University Extension’s Joyce McGarry.
- Bringing Your Dog to the Farmers Market – When bringing your furry friend to the farmers market, follow these simple guidelines to ensure your visit is a success!
- Keeping Food Safe from the Farmers Market to the Fridge – Michigan farmers share tips and information about shopping efficiently and safely at your local farmers market.
- Food Safety from the Farmers Market to Your Fridge – Tips and guidelines to help you make sure your food is safe from the farmers market to your fridge.
- Seasonality Guides featuring seasonally-relevant food safety tips
- Recipe Cards featuring a variety of important food safety tips