About the Job
Ada Township Downtown Development Authority
$18.50 per hour, contracted annually
The Market Manager is a part-time contract position with primary responsibility being the day-to-day operations of the Farmers Market. This will include an on-site presence at the Market during all market hours, as well as off-site work during non-market hours. The Market Manager operates under supervision of the DDA Director and will report to the Board of Directors of the Ada Township DDA, who will set all market policy. In addition, the Manager will represent the Market to the market’s vendors, the consumers, and to the community.
- A Market Manager must be a leader who possesses a complex blend of skills that are both interpersonal and organizational.
- Applicants should be available for a minimum of 15-20 hours per week (dependent on market schedule). Work extended flexible hours in preparation for and during weeks of the main market season between June and October.
- The individual must demonstrate the ability to undertake basic assignments and possess an understanding of basic customer service skills, an ability to interact professionally with merchants, staff, and vendors, and display good judgment.
- A working knowledge of computers, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel and Social Media platforms.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, creative thinker, and self-starter.
- Develop valuable community connections
- Demonstrate prior knowledge of Farmers Market Management
ROUTINE JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stakeholder Relations: Maintain and develop relationships with vendors, customers, contractual parties (The Community Church), the Ada/Forest Hills business community, Kent District Library -Amy Van Andel Branch Manager, Township/DDA staff and the Market Sponsors.
- Financial Matters: Prepare the annual budget for the Market in conjunction with DDA Director, interact with the Ada Township Clerk and Treasurer for deposits and disbursements; maintain accurate records of all financial transactions.
- Management: Recruit, train, and schedule volunteers; manage Market opening, closing and operations while open; manage vendor participation and adherence to Market rules; manage “Kids in the Market” and “Music in the Market” programs, and any additional programs when applicable.
- Vendor Recruitment: Develop and carry out a vendor recruitment effort to expand the number of vendors and the mix and variety of product offerings at the Market.
- Promotion: Develop and implement a marketing and promotional plan and budget, including a robust social media and internet presence.
- Miscellaneous: Identify alternative funding opportunities, i.e., grants, sponsorships, and fundraising opportunities, develop planned emergency procedures, interact with and participate in the programs of the Michigan Farmers Market Association, and coordinate the signing of MOUs between market sponsors and township DDA designee.
- COVID-19 Response: Develop and carry out any necessary mitigation measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic as recommended and/or required by Michigan Department of Health and Social Services, Kent County Health Department, or other applicable sources.
- Extended periods of standing and walking during events
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 pounds
- Intermittent periods of computer and office work
- Talking, hearing, concentration, judgment and writing ability
The applicant should have two (2) or more years of experience in working with the public, preferably marketing, retail management, hospitality, food and beverage management, event planning, resource development or closely related field. The applicant should have proficient knowledge of social media and Google Apps. Volunteer supervision experience preferred. Budgeting and project management experience desired.
$18.50 per hour, contracted annually - This position is a part-time, contracted position and functions for a 12-month fiscal year period between March 2023 and April 2024 with June-October being the market season. Staff anticipates an average of 20 hours per week during the market season (June-October) and an average of 10 hours per week during off-season Based on needs of the market, this position may have fewer hours per week outside the market season.
About the Employer
Ada Township’s Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is hiring a Market Manager to assist with various projects related to the operation of its weekly Farmers Market. The Ada Township Downtown Development Authority is an advocate for the vitality of the downtown development district. It works with the local businesses, Township, Ada Business Association, and other community partners to support the enhancement of Downtown Ada through promotion, business collaboration and public improvements.
How To Apply
If interested please send resume, cover letter and three references to:
Haley Stichman, DDA Director
Office: (616) 676-9191 ext. 35
Deadline to Submit Application: Open Until Filled
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Contractors will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.